Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Randomness of Life



Lately I have been thinking about paths not taken. In my mind I travel back one year, five years, ten years, twenty years….even thirty years. And I think about the decisions I made at various points and the consequences of those decisions.

Everything from the length of my marriage, to the number of children we have, the places we’ve lived, the pets we’ve owned, and the jobs I’ve held. It’s like each juncture led to two or more different stories and by choosing one, the other story never got told.

I sometimes think about writing those untold stories…..creating a character and have her make that other decision and then see how it turns out. Makes me wish I believed in reincarnation and could start over, again and again, altering events each time to see how things turn out. 

But the choices I made led to the life I have now, and I do love my life. I just sometimes wonder where I would be, what I would be doing, and who I would be with if I hadn’t gone to that college, or taken that job, or visited that place at that time. The randomness of life just sometimes seems overwhelming. Does everyone else think like this or is it just me?

And there’s a great book that does sort of address this issue. Life After Life, by Kate Atkinson. Great book, highly recommend. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TUQ60G/ref=oh_d__o05_details_o05__i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No comments:

Post a Comment